Pages

Friday, May 18, 2012

Post-Trip Confessions: Indiana Edition

-We just got back Sunday night at midnight from a 5 day trip to the hubby's home state. We drove 5 hours to visit his family then went 2 more a few days later to a graduation. It wasn't bad until the drive home, pretty sure that was the longest drive ever. I don't think I've ever been so happy to see our cozy little condo.

-Nor have I been so exhausted in my life. Several late nights made it hard to catch up. I was really exhausted after our move here, but this was definitely worse. I felt like I could just lay around for days-not so much an option of course when you have a toddler running around. Thankfully he was just as tired so he ended up taking some really nice long naps this week.

-Our extra two hours was to go down to Indy (Indianapolis for you non Indiana natives), where we stayed in a hotel for one night. Benjamin goes to bed at 7:30, so we did our best to get him in bed by that time at the hotel. What that meant for us was sitting around in the dark for an hour and a half trying to be quiet and still before it was time for us to go to bed. I had to go in the bathroom and use the tub to brush my teeth. Seriously, what kind of hotel doesn't put the sink in the bathroom? Next time we will definitely be splurging for the one bedroom suite-so worth it.

-Of course late nights and long drives are a breeding ground for arguments between tired mommy's and daddy's. After we stopped for supper, I offered to drive for awhile. We needed to get some gas, so I pulled into the gas station where they were apparently pouring new cement pads next to 70% of their pumps, leaving only a few open. I circled around and found the only one that seemed to be open, the one which of course had two kids messing around the car, trying to get ran over. I pulled up and stopped, thinking they would move. They stared at me. The "adult" that was with them just looked at me. Seriously? So I pulled up, my husband assuring me they would move. They didn't. So I inched up, literally less than 6 inches from the pump by the time I stopped. I looked at my husband, he looked at me.

"Do you want ME to get out and do it?" (i.e. You would have the audacity to make your wife get out and pump the gas?)

"Do you want ME to get out and do it?" (i.e. You really expect me to try and squeeze myself in the 6 inch gap you left between the pump and the car?)

Finally I just got out and did it. I think he was pretty sure he couldn't fit. Or would get stuck. Either way it made the next hour or two even longer. (In his defense I had to stand on the "curb" of the gas pump because there was no room left between the car and the pump other than that. Actually I'm surprised I could open the door and get out of the car)

-I got a jogging stroller a couple of weeks ago at a garage sale. Apparently it's a must have here because everyone around here has one. I figured since everyone else here has one that I needed to get one too (and I had been wanting one for awhile before we moved here). I found one for $20 so I thought that was too reasonable of a deal to pass up.

And of course since I now have a jogging stroller, it must mean that I also need to start jogging. I started the week before we left for Indiana, hoping I could keep it up while there. Not. Okay, so then I will start back up when I get back.

Since I was so tired from the trip I waited a few days. I only go about 1/2 a mile because I have to build up very slowly on account of my shin splint issues, so since it's about that far to the grocery store, I decided I had recovered enough to take a short run down to Hyvee on Wednesday to get some groceries.

Bad idea. After walking around for a bit, I started to get a little woozy and light headed. I started thinking how I was going to have to call my husband to come get me and that was going to stress him out because he's been so busy at work and it was going to take  him awhile to get there and my poor son is going to worry what in the world is going on and etc etc etc

Thankfully I was able to finish getting my groceries and start to regain my bearings.

No more running this week. In fact I think it would be a good idea to replace my runs with naps.

-I think it's going to take while to undo all the bad habits Benjamin picked up while traveling. I think for the last week it's taken him twice as long to eat, and he's all the sudden become much pickier about his food.He got to eat much unhealthier than usual. And he now thinks meal time is social hour. And when you're visiting family IT IS a good time to socialize, b/c it's a time when you are all sitting down together. But not so much when you get home and it takes the boy an hour to eat. When we were visiting family he ate fairly healthy, but since I didn't want to deal with transporting food for him for the rest of the trip, he got to "eat out" a lot more than usual.  Chicken tenders and fries and sugar loaded applesauce...ugh.

Oh traveling.


1 comment: