Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Confessions of the Condo: I'm 27 and have gray hair.


In an attempt at humility-here are some confessions about one of those things we women are most insecure about-our appearance. Some of my deepest darkest beauty secrets...

-I sometimes don't wear makeup when I go out. It usually makes me self conscious to some degree, but I'm trying to work on that. I'd really like to get to the point where I'm okay with not having any on and being seen in public.

-Of course I always wear it when I go to church, or to some formal occasion. But when I do I only wear foundation and mascara. I don't like to look like I actually have it on. I never wanted to be one of those people that you gasp at when you see them without makeup on.

-I take a shower at night and go to bed with wet hair. That's my style secret. I twist the curls, sleep on it, and hope for the best.

-I only wash my hair two or maybe three times a week. I read once that it makes it drier when you shampoo it often, so I usually only shampoo it once a week, and only use conditioner the other times.

-I basically wear my hair up every day except Sunday.

-I hardly every wear jeans, unless it's one of those formal occasions where I'm wearing makeup. I spend my weekdays in leggings mostly. I know, I know, you're not supposed to wear them as pants, but they're comfy and I'm not exactly in the latest trend spotlight.

-I'm still not down to my pre-pregnancy weight. I gained 45 lbs with Benjamin, and it was not because I ate a lot. I really don't think I ate much more than usual, I just seemed to absorb water like crazy. After I had him it pooled in my ankles so much my mom thought I had a blood clot. Anyway, I'm finally getting closer, but it took some major working out to shed the last 10-15 lbs. I still have another 5 or so to go now that he's almost a year and a half old. (P.S. my "major" working was doing Jillian Michaels workouts at home)

-If you see me wearing glasses towards the middle or the end of the month, it's usually because my 2 week contacts have gotten so dirty I can't stand them anymore. I'm terribly lazy about cleaning them, and accidentally buying the non no-rub contact solution doesn't help. I recently ran out of contacts completely and procrastinated getting an eye exam for almost a month and ended up wearing my glasses every day for about 3 weeks.

-I've said this before but I usually get haircuts at Cost Cutters or Great Clips. I've even cut it myself when I don't like what they do, or they don't cut it short enough. And, as stated above-I'm starting to get some major gray going on, very visibly that I'm going to have to do something about-or not. My husband fears what will happen if I try coloring it on my own, and about has a heart attack when I tell him what it cost to color in the salon, so he thinks I should just rock the gray. I think not, but so far I'm living with it.

-I say all of this of course to make it seem like I am fairly low maintenance, but really, since I'm now married  and have a little one I think it's more laziness and a little bit of having higher priorities (or less time).  I may spend less time on my appearance now, but it's not because I am content with how I look, it's because I just don't have the time or energy to care as much. I'm working though on realizing how God sees me, and that has nothing to do with looking like the women on covers of magazines, or having all the gray covered up, or covering up the blemishes with makeup, or wearing the latest trends.

More on that later.





No comments:

Post a Comment