Phase 1 of the kitchen makeover is done, and now I'm on to Phase 2. The final phase will be redoing the floor, but that won't be until we are able to accomplish a few other things (like removing the 2nd sink).
I'm actually in the process right now of redoing the cabinet doors. It's going to look so different! But more on that later, hoping to finish that up this weekend.
Phase 1 involved getting the icky ugly wallpaper down, the walls painted, and the backsplash redone.
As always, here is the before:
It wasn't the worst I've ever seen, but it was dirty, and there's nothing like paint to make things clean and fresh.
First, the wallpaper had to come down. That was a fairly awful task.
I didn't know what I was doing so I made a pretty awful mess to start with. After some research I figured out how to do it right and it made it a little easier, but they had painted under the chicken border so that made it much worse.
| You can see to the left where I picked at it and really messed it up. |
| Once I figured out how to do it right it came off much easier. You can see the REALLY old wallpaper that was underneath the chickens and paint. |
| Since I decided there was no way I could get everything off, I primed before I painted. Worked like a charm! |
Now the afters. It took a few days for me to warm up to the color, it's not unusual for me to have painter's remorse though :) I love it now!
| After walls, backsplash and trim have been painted. |
| Backsplash done. I painted over the peachy colored tiles and kept the rest of the colors, the rest is painted with high gloss white paint. |
| The backsplash before. I still have one wall left to do. |
| I have to include my $20 table and chairs. I didn't think it turned out too bad, but I did discover it's really hard to put a even coat of clear coat on a table top! I finally gave up! |

looking good!! i really like the new table set!!
ReplyDeleteWow! You have a really big kitchen with lots of potential! When you get done, you'll have one of those kitchens that you see in midwest living magazine.
ReplyDelete