Pages

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Since its the anniversary of our first date...

...I thought I would share the story.

If you read the previous post, you know the story of how we met, but I mentioned that our first date is a story in itself.

Although I received 15 roses on Valentine's Day and was officially "asked out" in the parking lot after church, we didn't actually go out on our first date until several days later. I had planned on going home that following weekend to my parents, as my mom was going to be gone for the weekend so I was going to go home and see my dad. I had planned on coming back Saturday night so I could go to church in LeClaire Sunday, so I told Kev that we might be able to get together that Saturday night, depending on what time I happened to be driving through Davenport on my way home to Clinton.

Little did I know that he was going to be showered and ready, sitting by the phone waiting in eager anticipation of my call.

I never called.

So, we ended up going out Monday night. Kev had suggested Culver's and then maybe some bowling. I however, being the person that I am, wanted to get out of Clinton where I had a 95% chance of running into people I knew, so I suggested a nice "unique" restaurant in a small town known as Sabula, IA, about a 1/2 hours drive from my place in Clinton.

For those of you that don't know, Sabula is an actual "island" town. It is one of those places where not only does everyone know everyone else, but they are probably related to everyone else as well.

I had done some research and found out they had a little restaurant there known as the "island cafe." Sounds like a nice little cafe type thing, right?

By the time Kev came and picked me up that evening, we had been emailing back and forth and decided (or I had decided) that we should give the ole Island Cafe in Sabula a try. After all, I wanted to do something more unique than bowling and Culvers for our first date.

It was unique alright. By cafe they must have meant that they served coffee, because it was one of those places where all the locals come to have their morning, afternoon, and evening coffee with their friends which are also their family. And they're not afraid to stare.

As we pulled up to the restaurant, I distinctly remember thinking to myself, "uh oh," but of course I didn't say anything to Kev nor look at him for that matter. I couldn't imagine what he was thinking, after I had insisted on coming here rather than Culvers. After we walked in and sat down in the booth, our waitress came to take our order, she and her 50 tatoos. I actually didn't notice the tatoos at first, but Kev did, giving me this sort of, "oh my" look. There were only like 2 other people in the restaurant at the time.

The food was actually really good. I thought I would impress Kev by putting away a big juicy bacon cheeseburger and cleaning my plate. Man was I full.

Kev apparently thought it was quite a long drive up there. But let me tell you, the drive back was like an eternity! It started out nice as we chatted about our dining experience, but it didn't take long for him to get straight to the point (Those of you that know him understand what I mean).

As we were talking, he decided to bring up the fact that he didn't date around, as in when he dated he had the intention of getting married.

I told him he better lock the doors before I decided to jump out of the truck.

And then he preceded to say that since he was a Deacon at church, people would be watching us.

Because of the above stated fact, rather than going back to my place, we kept driving, first around the block, then downtown, then around downtown again, then out around town, then back around downtown, and again...I think you get the point.

And then, my parents called.

And for some reason unbeknown to me, I answered. In the middle of our date. Here's how the conversation went:

Me: Hello? giggle giggle
Mom: Hello? What are you doing?
Me: Nothing...giggle giggle
Mom: Are you alone?
Me: Ummmm....giggle giggle
Mom: Where are you?
Me: Driving around...giggle giggle
Mom: Are you on a date!?
Me: No! giggle giggle

Obviously, I hadn't told my parents about Kev yet, but Mom knew something was up, and if she didn't know before, she definitely knew now! After the date of course, I had to call them back and confess that I was indeed on a date. After I told her his name, she proceeded to google him.

After the interruption, as we continued our drive throughout Clinton County, sometime during the conversation he referred to me as his girlfriend. And then he called me "honey."

Let's just say, this did not go over well. I don't think my defense walls have ever gone up so fast. I informed him that it would take at least 3 dates before he was allowed to call me his "girlfriend," and the whole petname thing, well, let's just say that would take a little longer. I think we talked about that for awhile.

After 2+ hours of driving around and using nearly 1/2 a tank of gas or more, he finally took me home. After walking me to my door, saying goodbye and SHAKING MY HAND, he left, and that was the end of our first date.

That Wednesday, (our date was Monday) he left for Chicago for TWO days. And in that time, I realized, I missed him.

Our 2nd date was quite the experience as well. I will say that part of this involved him driving to Clinton to bring me back to Davenport in the middle of an ice/snow storm. It was so bad he had to stop and clean the ice off the windshield wipers so he could see. He was bound and determined to get to 3 dates ASAP so he could officially call me his girlfriend.

Every year so far we have ventured back up to our favorite cafe. The food really is good. At least the bacon cheeseburger and the breaded tenderloin-we've never had anything else.

And the people still stare.

1 comment:

  1. Love it love it love it!! *SHAKING MY HAND* - so sounds like Daniel!

    ReplyDelete