That leaves me in a bit of a panic. Thank goodness I started Christmas shopping early this year, but I still have several presents to get out there and buy.
Trying to be proactive, I started praying before Thanksgiving about keeping my schedule out of the hectic level and keeping my mind focused on what Christmas is really about. Nonetheless, my weekends have become totally booked. Today I'm finding myself selfishly hoping for as much snow as possible so that my Bible Study is canceled so that I can get my Christmas cards done. And lately rather than enjoying an evening of cuddling on the couch with my husband, I'm sitting next to my husband with my computer on my lap trying to frantically to finish up some online shopping while he reads his farm paper.
What happened?
Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas. I look forward to it all year long. I even go through a sort of minor depression every year after its over because I can't believe its over already. For goodness sakes I got married at Christmastime because its my favorite time of year.
So why am I finding it so hard to slow down and enjoy it?
My parents always told me that things move faster as you get older. Now, I'm not that old yet, but I definitely am noticing the pace starting to pick up. I don't have kids yet, but I am starting to see why parents are always saying those things that you usually roll your eyes about, how they remember your infants days like it was yesterday and now you're all grown up and on and on..
Slow down for a minute and think about the word "Christmas." Christ-mas. Christmas wasn't meant to be about trees, or gifts, or friends and family: its about Christ. Over 2000 years ago, God sent his one and only son, through a lowly teenage girl to be born as a baby in a manger. With the birth of that baby, Christ came into the world to save us from our sins.
Now that's a cause for celebration. But here's another thing to remember: God sent his son to die. He had to. That was the only way that we could be reconciled to God-a perfect atoning sacrifice was required-and God provided that through the sacrifice of his sinless son.
Is this thought frequenting your mind this Christmas season? Not only do we need to remember the birth of our Savior, but we also need to remember why he needed to come. To save us from our sins.
One of the things that have really made a difference in making me think about what Christmas is really about is the Christmas songs that I listen to. We have a station that plays Christmas songs 24/7, which I love. But one of the things I've noticed is that the majority of these songs don't point to what Christmas is really about. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with enjoying a little Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, but we shouldn't let the "traditions" and "fun stuff" of Christmas overshadow our focus on what its really about.
One of those really great songs that helps put the "Christ" back in Christmas for me is a maybe not so well known song that focuses on things from the innkeepers point of view. Of course, you have to know the story, and most of you probably do. But just in case you need a little refresher, here it is, straight from Luke 1:1-7:
1In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. 2(This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria.) 3And everyone went to his own town to register.
4So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. 5He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. 6While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, 7and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.
There's no room...no room in the inn,
If you were someone important we might try to fit you in,
but there's no room in here for you.
There's no room...no room to lay your head,
If you were wealthy we might find you a bed,
but there's no room in here for you.
'Cause I'm cold, and tired of working my whole life away,
Every hand, needing one thing more, comes knocking at my door,
I got a hundred people calling out my name today, and you come to my door,
And I can't care no more, unless you can save me.
There's no room for you and your little lady,
There's a manger in the stable; should be just fine for your little baby,
There's no room in here, no.
'Cause I'm cold, and tired of working my whole life away,
Every hand, needing one thing more, comes knocking at my door,
I got a hundred people calling out my name today, and I can't care no more,
And you come, asking for something for nothing,
What can you give me? Can you save me?
Oh, please, little baby, can you save me?
Little baby, can you save me?
Can you relate to that innkeeper? Cold, tired, tired of working, tired of worrying about everyone else's needs, tired of life. And here this couple comes, just one more hand asking for a little more of his time. If they had been someone important...we might try. If they had been someone wealthy, we might find you a bed. But for this lowly couple, it wasn't worth his time. In his mind they had nothing to offer. He didn't want to have to be the person to help them. He needed someone to help him.
Little baby, can you save me?
Maybe they didn't have money to pay. Maybe there really was no room left and he didn't want to make the effort to help them find a place. Either way, it was just easier to say "no room."
Can you see where I'm going with this? In the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season, surely you're not feeling tired. And certainly you can't relate to feeling overwhelmed by everyone else's needs.
I hope you sense the sarcasm. Of course we can relate to feeling tired and overwhelmed. So many gifts to buy-to wrap-to give-so little time. So many activities to get to-how many can I squeeze them all in? Do you ever find yourself yearning to experience the Christmas spirit-a little time and peace and quiet to sit down and enjoy the lights, the trimmings-after all, that is what its all about, right?
There's no room in here.
Shopping? Lights? Gifts? Do you have any room? If not, I challenge you: slow down. Put the Christ back in your Christmas. Give him the time he deserves-and if you haven't submitted your life to him, believing that he truly is the son of God and submitting your will to his, do it now because guess what: that little baby can save you. Let go of all those other things that fill up your rooms and make room for the only one that really matters.
Believe me-it will transform your holiday season.

No comments:
Post a Comment